[OpenTom] 910 tty settings?

Pekka Nikander pekka.nikander at nomadiclab.com
Tue Aug 1 10:06:43 CEST 2006

It turned out that in 910 the plug&play daemon takes over /dev/ttyS0
by default.
Placing the following script as 'TTPnPD' to the sdcard or hard disk
root gives a shell nicely.

#!/bin/sh

exec < /dev/ttySAC0 > /dev/ttySAC0 2>&1
stty 115200

while true; do
   sh
done

Kudos to TomTom Pro service for allowing me to figure this out this
fast!

This new cable makes finally TT hacking trivial. You get easily a
shell to the running system, making it possible to test various hacks
without risking making my 910 hard disk unbootable.  IMHO, anyone
planning to hack 510/710/910 should get the serial cable.

My plan is next to see if I can easily setup PPP or SLIP over ttyS0.
That would allow TCP/IP easily to the system.  However, I don't know
yet if there is PPP or SLIP compiled into the default kernel; my
background is in the *BSD world and this is the first time I am
playing with Linux.  There may also be some problems in getting PPP
running at my Mac.

Just FYI, this is what TT910 (6.110) runs by default, sans the P&P
daemon:

# ps -ax
   PID  Uid     VmSize Stat Command
     1 root        604 S   /bin/sh /init
     2 root            SWN [ksoftirqd/0]
     3 root            SW< [events/0]
     4 root            SW< [khelper]
     5 root            SW< [kthread]
     6 root            SW< [kblockd/0]
     7 root            SW< [khubd]
     8 root            SW  [pdflush]
     9 root            SW  [pdflush]
    11 root            SW< [aio/0]
    10 root            SW  [kswapd0]
    12 root            SW  [mtdblockd]
    13 root            SW< [krfcommd]
    72 root        552 S   syslogd -C -S
    82 root        400 S   launchserver.a /var/run/launchsock
    90 root        576 S   hcid: processing events
    92 root        636 S   sdpd
    98 root        372 S   hciattach /dev/bt bcsp 921600
   109 root        344 S   blueserver.a /var/run/bluesock
   110 root        556 S   btserver
   171 root      32220 R   /bin/ttn
   180 root      32220 S   /bin/ttn
   181 root      32220 S < /bin/ttn
   183 root            Z   [blueserver.a]
   207 root        552 S < /mnt/sdcard/bin/mp3d -n -2
#

--Pekka